Custom Search

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

The Likeness is Incredible!

After researching and surfing the web today, I was left wondering: "is there any original content anymore?" In fact, someone has probably already addressed this exact question elsewhere! With so many like-minded people in the world, how is it possible to possess an original thought or create a unique piece? Perhaps the wording is slightly different, paraphrased and tweaked just enough to appear distinct on the surface, but you will come across the same meaning time and time again. 

This is written from my perspective, but I guarantee that if you research this argument, you will find someone else sharing a common view. I am intentionally not going to search for a similar work because it will likely sway this post. Instead, I will continue to state my theory and encourage you to find out for yourself just how alike our thought processes are. 

Besides great advancements in technology and other scientific studies, I would guess there is little originality. And even in those areas, someone may have envisioned the same concept and had no means to execute it. Missing the opportunity or failing to patent a discovery does not prove that an invention or method of doing something, protected by intellectual property rights, was the first of its kind in the creator's mind. Credit may be given to the most active in exposing the technology to the masses, but the idea could have developed in a like-minded person years before. Are we simply a world of copycats? Literally, a world full of carbon copies? Does it even matter? 

Plagiarism is a literary crime in the land of literature. Giving credit where credit is due is fundamental. Writers want to ensure that their voice is theirs alone, to be shared not stolen and passed along as another's. Personally, I have skimmed a text or two during my undergrad and graduate school years to fulfill an assignment. After creating what I thought to be an original paper, I've gone back to check a fact only to realize I had nearly copied content verbatim. 

Content I hadn't read prior to writing the paper, thoughts I had developed in my mind I felt were suitable to put on paper, were almost identical to another's. In order to fulfill the assignment requirements, I had to rephrase my own "original". How can that be explained? Now, I'm no literary savant. I have a passion for writing and want to hone my craft, but how can I be capable of writing a textbook?! Especially one from which I was learning and previously unfamiliar. Like-minded people are the simplest explanation. 

Thinking alike leads to decisions and actions that are very much alike. Still not convinced? That's why you say or hear "I was thinking the exact same thing" or "I was just about to say that" or "jinx, knock on wood" or "I said the same thing!" Why are you not surprised when you find out you share the same zodiac sign with a person of a like-mind? That's why we use clichés and colloquialisms. Someone has already thought and arranged the words "telling it like [we] see it". For those who don't know, a colloquialism is "a word, phrase, or expression characteristic of ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/colloquialism). For example: "He's out" instead of "He's not at home."--- Now pay attention! 

You'll find yourself starting a question with "is it just me…" when you already know it's not. That's why you're asking the question for some sort of validity or credibility from a like-mind. We experience deja vu. We say, "That brings back memories" when someone does or says something we've experienced previously. I don't believe in coincidence. Maybe we're linked telepathically, spiritually, mentally. No matter how you say it--, we are connected. So now, my epiphany is your epiphany. 

One of my favorite phrases is "the belly of the beast". Don't worry about why? Half of you will think that's Satanic, and the other half will think of Jonah and the Whale. Remember, I said "belly of the beast" not "mark of the beast". Don't be freaked out-- haven't you been reading-- we are like-minded people. I'm inside your head right? Well you're all inside mine too. Get used to it. It's just how it is. 

"Make no mistake" (I love that phrase too); we all want the same things, people. You want happiness. You want to be loved. You want to be debt-free. You want a little mad money tucked away. You want to be healthy. You want to be attractive. You want some good lovin'. You want to be appreciated. If you have a family, you want to balance work and family life. These desires are in no particular order, just commonly shared with so many. 

Let's test my theory with a little experiment. 

Fill in the blanks: 

In Good Company By Robin Jessie-Green

"The more I think I'm different 

 The more similarities I _____ 

 Of like-minded people 

 Who are just like _____ 

 It's no secret that it's an act of fate 

 Which drives us closer to those to whom we can ______ 

 I don't mind not being unique 

 This is how it should be-- 

 I actually find comfort in knowing 

 I'm in good _______!" 

Remember, it's not about the differences but the similarities. Simply finding that common tie and perceiving it as someone telling you they've been through it too, is what truly matters most. Find comfort in knowing you're not alone; there are so many just like you, just like me. 

No comments: